Anyone and everyone who doesn't live under a rock knows how crazy the public has been lately over the H1N1 ("swine") flu, the number of deaths and extremely ill cases that keep rising due to recent outbreaks, the comparisons of H1N1 cases vs. seasonal (regular) flu cases, the prioritization of who gets the shots first and then reports of more lower risk folks getting them before the higher risk folks.
It's enough to make a person go insane.
The media of course, can't stop talking about it. And, I have to admit, it's gotten us stirred up as well. We are a pro-vaccine family, so while I still did my research on the various brands of H1N1 vaccines available, and which were best for who, and which had thimerosal (mercury) and which did not, Jon and I had decided early on we three would all be getting the vaccine. Because I'm now pregnant, it's particularly important to us that we are all vaccinated to help protect the baby once he/she is born.
So, for the last few weeks, I - like every other crazy mama out there - have been on the hunt for the H1N1 (and seasonal) vaccine for the three of us, and specifically for a mercury-free shot.
Little did I know how limited the vaccines would be, and how difficult it would be to get one!
I was proactive enough to find out when Logan's pediatrician's office would be getting their first shipment of the seasonal flu vaccine in, so I made an appointment several weeks out for the shot. And thankfully, they got their shipment in on time, so Logan received the seasonal flu vaccine early last week without issue.
At the same time, I asked about status on when the H1N1 vaccines would be coming in, but the office couldn't give me an answer. Like every other doctor and medical group in town, it seems, the status of their H1N1 vaccine orders has been unknown. My OB had the same to report. So, I got on the waiting list at both my OB and Logan's pediatrician's office. Hoping someone would get something soon!
As luck would have it, Logan's pediatrician received a very small supply of H1N1 vaccines this week, and emailed out to those parents on the waiting list about a clinic he would be setting up tonight, specifically to give the H1N1 vaccines.
We were told to call after 5pm on Monday to leave a message if we were interested in getting a spot in the clinic. I called at 5:02pm.
Whether it was sheer luck or relentless determination, we got a call back and reserved a spot for Logan. He received his H1N1 shot this evening and did great. Jon and I still need ours (I did get my seasonal shot through work this morning), but I feel a sigh of relief knowing at least our son, who falls in one of the high risk groups for H1N1, is now protected.
Editor's side note: I composed and posted this while 32,000 feet in the air, mid flight to Texas! :) Gotta love wi-fi on planes!