Tuesday, January 27, 2009

San Diego Summary

My son is off to bed and my husband is off to another country (more on that later), so I finally have some moments of quiet in the house to blog a post on our recent trip.

Jon's old high school friend, Ryan, got married this last weekend. Since Jon was in the wedding party, we had to go. We contemplated about leaving Logan here with my parents but finally decided it was better to bring him with us. It wouldn't have been right visiting San Diego without him, especially since he hadn't yet met either of Jon's grandparents!

So, we woke up bright and early on Thursday morning for a short flight down to San Diego. It was pouring here in San Jose so it was nice to be greeted with some sun once we landed. The flight was fairly uneventful. Logan was pretty tired and should have taken a nap, but he was way too distracted with everything around him to fall asleep on me or Jon. However, by the time we got to our rental car, he finally DID conk out on me (in the Ergo carrier) which was great news. So, I quietly swayed back and forth letting him sleep while Jon quickly loaded up our car, messed with the car seat to get it buckled in properly, gingerly loaded our snoozing son into his seat, and then plopped ourselves in the front to take off.

Only, when Jon started up the engine, we discovered the brand new spankin' - I only have 500 miles to my name - rental car was dying. The poor thing was shaking and shuddering and sputtering like a beat up old Chevy truck (rather than the sporty red Chevy Impala that it was).


So, we got another car, took all our luggage out, transferred it to the new car, gingerly pulled our sleeping son out of his car seat, took that out and installed it in the working car, and loaded him back up again. He was exhausted and thankfully, never woke up during the transition. :)

We took off to see Jon's Grandma Negrete first, who lives in Coronado. Since Logan was still sleeping, I waited in the car with him while Jon went to get his grandmother, and then we all took off for a late breakfast/early lunch. Logan woke up once she joined us in the car (I'm sure the new voice is what did it), but at least he got about a 45 minute nap or so....

We had a nice lunch. Well. Nice minus Logan throwing up all over himself in his high chair because we gave him a tortilla chip to munch on, which then proceeded to get lodged in his throat (because he SHOVED THE ENTIRE THING IN HIS MOUTH all at once) and caused him to gag. Thankfully, I had packed a change of clothes, shoes and all, in the diaper bag. So, we stripped him down right there at the table, washed everything with millions of baby wipes, and then went back to finishing our lunch. Eeks.

After lunch, we visited with Jon's grandmother some more at her apartment (and Jon did a little bit of work) which she absolutely loved since it meant some extra time with Loganito. And, then took off to drive up to Murrieta, about an hour north of San Diego, where Jon's grandpa Negrete and step-grandmother Maryann live.

At Grandpa Negrete and Maryann's house we visited with the two of them plus Jon's aunt and younger cousins. Jon's Aunt Diana and Uncle Donald also drove down from Sun City to visit and meet Logan as well. We had a really nice time visiting and ordered in pizza for dinner. Logan got to bounce on a trampoline for his first time which he seemed to really enjoy for about 5 minutes. Jon was on it with him, doing most of the bouncing, and Logan was laughing up a storm - until Jon got a little too aggressive and suddenly Logan's face turned green and he stopped smiling all together and wanted off. :) He also loved playing with Izzy's drumsticks, and watching Izzy do some serious damage on his Rock Band game.

We finally took off and headed back to San Diego to stay with our friends Eric and Jill (who we traveled to New Zealand with). It was really great to see them! And, even though my back was killing me (stressful week at work and the traveling/kid juggling), we all stayed up for a couple of hours after putting Logan down so that we could hang out and catch up on the last few months of life.

Friday morning Eric and Jill both took off for work, and unfortunately for us, their electric company was doing maintenance in the neighborhood so power was out for the entire day. We couldn't really sit at the house doing nothing, so we decided to hit up the mall - which actually worked out well since Jon found out that morning that the rehearsal dinner that night was business casual - no jeans (since when does business casual mean no jeans? is what I want to know...). I'm pretty sure the bridesmaids all knew well in advance the required attire, but alas, the last minute planning is what you have to put up with when it's two boys talking to each other.

So, we got some nice pants for Jon (luckily I had packed two dresses for me), and walked around the mall until it was a little too wet and rainy for us to hang out in anymore. Plus, Logan really needed a nap and we all needed to get ready for the rehearsal. So, we headed back to Eric and Jill's and all three napped for a couple hours like the lazy bums that we are, before it was time to head to the church.

The rehearsal was supposed to start at 5pm but this is a Filipino wedding and everyone was operating on Filipino time. :) The bride and groom didn't even show up until about 5:20pm or so I think. So what's the first thing the rehearsal coordinator (yes, there was a coordinator just for the rehearsal) tells the wedding party?

Tomorrow you must be here NO LATER THAN 1:15pm American time. Not Mexican time. Not Filipino time. American time people.

Heh. The poor woman.

The wedding was at The Immaculata Parish on the University of San Diego's campus. I actually have been to a wedding here before - when I was pregnant with Logan! For my good friend Scott and Karen's wedding. So, I knew the layout well. But, this time with a baby, it was oh so different.

And, I really shouldn't have gone to the rehearsal. I'm not sure what I was thinking, other than, oh! if it starts at 5pm then we should have the dinner around 6pm so maybe it won't go too late and we can take Logan afterall.


Although, I suppose being at the rehearsal was a blessing in disguise. Since, it quickly made me realize just how antsy Logan was REALLY going to be on the big day.

So, we spent an hour hanging out in the back of the church, climbing the pews, pulling the bibles out of the book racks and throwing the donation envelopes on the floor. We also walked up and down all the aisles, explored the side chapels, and hung out in the church's narthex (vestibule), before finally wandering outside to the fountain and central plaza in front of the church.

And, when I say WE, I mean Logan.


It was exhausting and by about 6:12pm, when the rehearsal was still in full swing and Logan was nearing his melting point, I finally texted Jon with something like....

Leaving now. Find a ride home.

Saturday morning we got up early and went out to breakfast with Eric and Jill at the Hash House a go go. Their plates (particularly the french toast) were gigantic and we all ordered WAY TOO MUCH and stuffed ourselves silly. Luckily, Logan passed out once we got home which allowed me to rest and Jon to get ready for the wedding (he had to take off early). Logan woke from his nap with just barely enough time to get himself and myself dolled up for the big day - enough time, anyway, to arrive to the wedding on Filipino time. ;-)

Of course, Logan and I missed the majority of the wedding since we again, spent most of our time hanging out in the church's narthex, screaming at the top of our lungs, because didn't you know, churches with high ceilings are PERFECT at echoing small childrens' voices? Since it was gorgeous outside, we spent some time at the fountain again, and I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to get some great pictures of my son dressed up with a beautiful church in the background. Only, he did not feel like cooperating ONE BIT with me and the camera ALL DAY LONG.

Once the wedding ceremony was over, we were able to find Jon to visit for just a little bit before he was swept away again for a series of pictures and hoopla. During this brief time, I captured my favorite picture of the entire weekend. :)

After the ceremony, hundreds of guests poured into their cars to head to The Westin, where the dinner reception and party was held. I was really looking forward to it because I thought okay, finally. Jon will be done with his wedding party duties and I'll have a little relief.


I walked into the hotel and read the board directory for the wedding. 4:30-5:30pm was cocktail hour, with the dinner reception to start at 6:00pm. Jon was nowhere in sight - off participating in the millions of pictures that the 6 hired photographers and 1 videographer were shooting. So, I was left to fend for myself, juggling a quickly tiring baby amidst a sea of faces I did not know, all drinking and partying it up at the bar while my son was trying to topple down the grand entrance staircase with a few other boys at the wedding.

These boys, Jacob and Jeremy, were probably the only reason why Logan lasted as long as he did that day, being quite the entertainment for my son. He was fascinated by the "big" kids - watching them run and play and laughed anytime they came near by to make a funny face or give him a hug. And, they in turn, were completely in love with Mr. Logan. Jacob (a mature 5 yr old) turned to me and said, I just love babies. I said, Really? And, why is that? He said, because they are so fun and tiny.

So true Mr. Jacob, so true.

I'm proud to say we lasted until about 8pm, which was a really long day for Logan (he woke from his nap at 1pm and the wedding started at 2pm). So, he and I took off early (at least I got to eat dinner this time) so I could put him to bed.... when I picked up Jon later that night, I got to hear how the rest of the party went (it was probably one of the most expensive and lavish weddings we've ever been to - so there was a part of me that was really disappointed I couldn't enjoy the party and dancing with my husband), and was glad to hear Jon had a good time.

However, I also told him, under no uncertain terms, would I ever - EVER - agree to doing that again. That day was one of the most exhausting days I've had - and I'm not exactly sure WHAT I was thinking when I said Logan and I could join Jon at this wedding, but I definitely was not thinking about cranky kids and no nap times and quiet serious ceremonies and echo-y churches and formal dresses and late parties and early bedtimes.... Yeaaaaaaaaahhh.....

I must've forgotten for a split second that I am now a mom.

Our Sunday was uneventful - we had a nice leisurely brunch out with Eric and Jill and then hung out at their place the rest of the afternoon, enjoyed a dinner together and then headed out to the airport to catch our flight home. Our flight wasn't too bad - it was pretty late in the evening, well past Logan's bed time, so the last 30 minutes or so we played multiple distracting games to pass the time and keep him from disturbing any of the other passengers. He conked out on the ride home - which was great since we quickly moved him to his bed, and then passed out ourselves.

Yesterday was a blur as we caught up with work and visited with friends from out of town all night. And tonight, we had a quick couple hours as a family before Jon took off for the airport, on his way to the Dominican Republic for a work conference the rest of the week.

I'm beginning to think that for every trip we take, no matter how big or small, I need an equivalent number of days to recuperate and catch up with life back home. Having your husband turn around and leave the country less than 48 hours later doesn't quite work with my "decompress and recuperate" philosophy. Heck, some would say it's downright stressful.

But, what can you do? I'm trying not to think too hard about how hairy the next four days will be without him, juggling chemo appointments for Lola, PT appointments for myself, daycare drop offs and pickups, busy work duties and oh, a cranky teething toddler who's bottom left molar is starting to come in. It's not going to be easy, but I'm sure I can do it.

I'm a mom now, afterall.


Luke Shipman said...

How can you tell which molar is coming in? We think Luke may be teething one of his molar's but not sure which one and what to look for.

Jennifer said...

I feel for you about the molars. Rober has two coming in now... :( Us moms sure do a lot of work! Rememeber, friends are here to help! No favors are too small or too big! :)

Choun Family said...

oh man, that sucks! john owes you a spa day when he gets back. p.s you looked great at the wedding!

Elizabeth said...

I wonder if Filipino time is anything like CONNOLLY TIME??